READY FOR WORK, COOLEST & QUIETEST EGFX GRAPHICS CARD BOX ON THE MARKET
In addition to eGPU cards, the Breakaway Box supports every other Thunderbolt-compatible PCIe card, regardless of the card’s length or width—its single x16 PCIe 3.0 slot easily accommodates full-length cards such as the RED Rocket-X or AVID Pro Tools|HDX. The Breakaway Box’s single-port 40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 interface ensures the full 2750 MB/s of PCIe bandwidth(1) is dedicated to the installed card.
The Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box is the coolest and quietest eGFX box on the market—with its large variable-speed, temperature-controlled fan that quietly and effectively cools the installed card, the Breakaway Box can be comfortably used in noise-sensitive working environments.
FOR MEDIA PROFESSIONALS
In today’s 4K workflows, harnessing the computational engine in today’s GPU cards is essential to keeping up with on-set and post production timelines. The eGFX Breakaway Box is ideal for supporting the acceleration of special effects, animation, color grading, rendering, and editing.
40GBPS THUNDERBOLT 3 PERFORMANCE
Thunderbolt 3 is a leap forward in every way. Whether you’re editing 4K video at high frame rates or blasting aliens out of the sky, you can now transform your notebook into a true desktop experience. With up to 2750 MB/s available bandwidth(1), the Breakaway Box exploits its 40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 interface to offer the best-possible eGPU experience, or handle the most demanding, highest performance PCIe cards.
AVAILABLE WITH 350, 550W OR 650W POWER SUPPLY
Sonnet offers three eGFX Breakaway Box models to choose from—the eGFX Breakaway Box 350 / eGFX Breakaway Box 550 / eGFX Breakaway Box 650 —enabling you to select one best suited to your needs. The eGFX Breakaway Box 350 includes 8-pin plus one 6-pin auxiliary power connectors, supports cards requiring 300W or less power, and provides 15W of upstream power. The eGFX Breakaway Box 550/650 includes dual 8-pin auxiliary power connectors, supports cards requiring 375W+ of power, and provides 87W of upstream power, useful for charging your notebook computer. Each model includes a 0.5-meter Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) cable to connect the box to your computer. Whichever model you choose, the Breakaway Box is Thunderbolt Certified for Mac and Windows.
IDEAL FOR ACCELERATING
- Special effects
- Color grading
ALSO IDEAL FOR ENABLING GRAPHIC INTENSIVE GAMING ON NON-GAMING COMPUTERS:
- Enables high frame rate gaming with thin/light notebooks
- Accelerated graphics on notebook display or external display
- No need to carry around a heavy/expensive gaming laptop—plugin GPU power when you need it
- Connects High Performance GPU Cards to Computers with Thunderbolt 3 Ports
Connects a supported GPU card to your eGFX-compatible computer with Thunderbolt 3 ports
- Supports the Latest GPU Cards
Includes AMD Radeon R9, RX, RX Vega, and Pro WX models; and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 9 and 10 series, TITAN X, Xp, V, and Quadro model
- Supports Other Thunderbolt 3-Compatible PCIe Cards
Perfect for full-length cards such as the RED ROCKET-X or AVID Pro Tools|HDX
- 40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 Interface with One Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) Port
Ensures full 2750 MB/s of PCIe bandwidth(1) is dedicated to the installed card
- Available with 350W, 550W or 650W
Model with 350W power supply has one 8-pin & one 6-pin auxiliary power connector and delivers 15W of upstream power; model with 550W power supply has dual 8-pin connectors and can also deliver 87W upstream power to charge your computer
- Quietest eGFX System Available
Large built-in, variable-speed, temperature-controlled fan quietly and effectively cools the installed card
- Thunderbolt Certified for Mac & Windows (macOS does not support connection of GPU cards over Thunderbolt and GPU card drivers are not officially Thunderbolt compatible on macOS.)
- Graphics Card Power Compatibility
Mac with Thunderbolt 3 ports and macOS 10.13.4+
- Details on official macOS 10.13.4 eGPU Support can be found here – eGPU/OS
- macOS drivers for NVIDIA GPU cards are currently not compatible with Thunderbolt Technology
- If you have a Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt Mac that may have worked with external graphics under the beta program that ended after macOS 10.13.3, then you will not be able to continue to use external graphics if you update to macOS to 10.13.4. To continue to enjoy external graphics, you would need to upgrade to a Thunderbolt 3 Mac which fully supports external graphics beginning with macOS 10.13.4.
Mac with a Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt port with an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter and macOS 10.12.6+ (external GPUs not supported by Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt equipped Macs)
Certified with all generation Thunderbolt Macs to support Thunderbolt-compatible non-GPU cards, such as AVID HDX(4) and RED ROCKET-X.
- Windows PC with a Thunderbolt 3 port
- GPU card use requires an eGFX-enabled Windows PC
- Windows 10 (64-bit Edition, Version 1709 or greater)
- eGFX Breakaway Box models support up to a standard full-height, full-length, double-width card. Cards with three power connectors are not supported.
- While the eGFX Breakaway box features a 40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 interface, some computers equipped with Thunderbolt 3 use an x2 PCIe lane implementation of Thunderbolt 3 technology that limits PCIe performance to 20Gbps. Find more computer information here. Full performance also requires the use of the included Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) cable, or other Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) cables; look for the Thunderbolt icon AND the number 3 on the connector housings to identify these cables.
- Choose eGFX Breakaway Box model that supports the power requirement of the chosen card.
- Power adapter cable for Avid Pro Tools|HDX card sold separately.
WHAT’S IN THE BOX:
- eGFX Breakaway Box system
- Power cord
- 0.5-meter Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) cable
Note: PCIe cards sold separately